Monday, May 21, 2012

Caught You Reading!


May is "Get Caught Reading Month".  You can almost always catch me reading something. I'm one of those people who takes a book with me wherever I go. Hey, you never can tell when you might need a book to keep you company! And now that I have an e-reader, I'll sometimes take that with me and have any number of books at my disposal.

I'm so lucky that my parents were readers and that there were always books in our home.  I sometimes drove my mom to distraction when I'd rather be inside reading than outside playing! But when I began working in a school, I learned that not all children are as fortunate as I was.  It broke my heart to realize that some children had no books at all in their homes. Thank goodness for the school library!

And thank goodness for public libraries. In spite of my e-reader, I still borrow many books from my local library. I'd go broke if I didn't. As the saying goes, so many books, so little time.

So guess what, you caught me reading! Right now I'm reading "Sweet Magik" a Faery Rose novel by Penny Watson. I'm really enjoying the story of Oskar Klaus and Kianna Grant.  Oskar, one of Santa's five sexy sons, is a snowboarder and a bibliophile.  As "Director of Elfin Resources" Oskar has his hands full as he tries to win Kianna's heart, deal with a malevolent elf named Wiebe, and discover who's released the Dark Magik that's causing mayhem at the North Pole.

Did I catch you reading? Please leave a comment and tell us about the book you're reading right now. I'll be giving a $10 gift certificate to The Wild Rose Press or The Wilder Roses (your choice) to a random commenter, to help you buy even more books.  Thanks a lot!

Nona Raines
Hot Contemporary Romance
Edgy ~ Emotional ~ Erotic
 www.nonaraines.com

Read excerpts or purchase Nona's books here.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nona,

I read Sweet Magik as well, loved it so much I bought both the e-book and the paper back. Penny Watson is one of my favorite authors and her series on Santa's sons is hot and perfectly delicious.

Currently, I'm reading several books:
Second Chances by Rita Oberlies, a great contemporary romance.
Fifty Shades of Grey, I'm torn because I'm intrigue by all the hype, but I hate most of it. I've read better erotic romances for sure. Much better.
And I just finished, With Grace by Samantha Wayland, a fantastic Menage Erotic Romance with depth of emotions and hot steamy sex.

DanicaStComo said...

As Nona knows, it's tough to shoe-horn in reading when one is also writing. However, I always feel inspired when I read, so I'm trying to fit in more reading. I finished True North by Marie Force, and a sexy Regency by Kate Pearce, Simply Carnal, from her House of Pleasure "Simply" series. I'm tempted to read Fifty Shades, so I can respond to queries truthfully (grin) -- my friends call me to see what I think about the book, and I only have reviews to go by.

Nona Raines said...

Hi Dena, I'm about halfway through Penny's book, and really looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.

I'm curious about Fifty Shades, but haven't read it yet. I briefly caught an interview with the author and she seemed almost surprised by all the hype.

Thanks for stopping by and for the great reading recommendations. Looks like I've got a few more titles to add to my wishlist!

Nona Raines said...

Hi Danica, sounds like you've read a couple of goodies there! I agree that reading helps keep inspiration going, even though it's sometimes hard to find the time. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

Both you ladies are like me, juggling several books at once!

Toni Lynn said...

Hey, Nona,

Actually, I've always hated to read...unless it was a magazine or a reference book.

Now if we were allowed to read books such as those I write, I might have been an avid reader ::wink::!!

Nona Raines said...

Hi Toni Lynn,

I think a lot of kids don't like to read because it seems so much like homework. I've found that you can sometimes "trick" them into reading by giving them books on topics they're really interested in (with lots of pictures).

Since I've been writing erotic romances, I've been reading a lot of reference books, myself--of the naughty kind! Got to keep that imagination perking!

Thanks for commenting!

Kara Leigh Miller said...

I just finished reading "South of Bixby Bridge" by Ryan Winfield (definitely worth checking out), "I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell" by Tucker Max, and Fifty Shades of Grey. Loved all of them =)

Currently, I'm working my way through The Hunger Games and some free romance novel I downloaded for my Kindle. It's so awful I don't even remember the title.

And now I think I'm going to go check out this "Sweet Magik" that everyone is talking about.

Nona Raines said...

Hi Kara,thatnks for stopping by!

I read your review for "South of Bixby Bridge" and it sounds interesting. I read Tucker Max's book and the way he treated women creeped me out, but maybe he's changed his ways since then! I really liked "The Hunger Games" and enjoyed the movie.

I think you'll enjoy "Sweet Magik", especially if you're into romances with elements of fantasy. It's funny, sexy and sweet. And I enjoyed the elves!

Taryn Elliott said...

I was such a huge fan of the library when I was a kid. And still am to this day. I couldn't live without it. Especially or all my audio book needs. Totally keeps me in books for all my car trips.

I just started that freaking 50 Shades. I promised myself I wouldn't read it. *hangs head* I can't stop. Damn book.

Nona Raines said...

Hi Taryn, I completely understand your love of audiobooks for long car trips. Sure makes the time go faster!

I always loved the public library as a kid and could totally get lost there. It's always been a special part of my life.

Hey, don't be embarrassed that you can't stop reading Fifty Shades. I've heard some negative stuff about it, but the book must have something going for it to be so popular! Thanks a lot for stopping by!

Nona Raines said...

Whoops, I'm late in reporting back, but Kara Leigh Miller, you're the winner of the gift certificate! I will contact you shortly. Congratulations! Thanks to all who responded.